Internal vs external domain addressing

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Oct 5 19:10:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 20:01, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 13:57, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > The easiest solution then is just to configure your nameserver to be a
> > master for the ourdomain.com domain, and include machine.ourdomain.com
> > as an A record in the zone in addition to all the entries you have on
> > the "official" nameservers. Your LAN clients will get back answers from
> > your nameserver (which knows about machine.ourdomain.com) and the rest
> > of the Internet will get back answers from the official nameservers
> > (which won't recognise machine.ourdomain.com). Just be sure to keep your
> > private version of the zone in sync with the official one when you make
> > changes.
>
>     Yeah, that's what most people do.  But the key problem is that
> "fred.ourdomain.com" isn't really "fred.ourdomain.com".  The
> .com/.net/etc TLDs aren't really a logical part of the 'real world' and
> this will cause sendmail, et al, to be more difficult to install, no?

Possibly, less so if sendmail is on the same machine as the local DNS
server. However, I would certainly make any machine that's directly
connecting to the Internet have a hostname that resolves globally and
not just locally. In Antonio's situation I would probably have just set
up an A record for machine.ourdomain.com with the same address as
ourdomain.com (not using "machine.ourdomain.com. CNAME ourdomain.com."
because the name that the machine knows itself as is
machine.ourdomain.com, not ourdomain.com, and not using "ourdomain.com.
CNAME machine.ourdomain.com." because there are no doubt MX records for
ourdomain.com and you can't have CNAME records coexisting with anything
else).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>