rpm dependencies

Douglas Phillipson dougp at intermind.net
Tue Oct 5 21:15:03 UTC 2004

Mike Noble wrote:
> I a new to Fedora, have been using Mandrake for the last several years.  I am
> trying to find a tool that will install packages and solve the dependencies
> for you (ie. download/Install the packages that are needed as well).  I looked
> at yum, but when adding a package, it tells me that the following
> dependencies are
> not satisfied.  It does not tell me what packages I need just that
> these libs are not
> installed.
> Does Fedora have a tool which will solve and make adding packages easier, if
> so, what is it?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Fedora's yum works great and is intended to solve dependency problems.
Which package are you installing, with yum, that has dependency
problems?  I am assuming you are installing a package from a yum
repository, not just a rpm file you downloaded.  You might check out
"yumi", which is a graphical front end to yum, and shows all the
packages available in your repositories located in /etc/yum.conf.  Here
is a great link, pointed out to me on this list, that has more
repositories and mirror sites.

  http://www.fedorafaq.org/samples/yum.conf

You will need to uncomment the repositories you want...

Doug P