Fedora Core 2 boot problems

Darren Coleman daz at superficial.net
Wed Oct 6 08:36:14 UTC 2004

An update to this:

I replaced GRUB with LILO (in RH9) to see if this would show me anything
else that GRUB wasn't, and attempting to boot 2.6.8.1 shows "Loading linux"
with all the dots you normally get, and that's it.  The next line which
usually states "Ok, Uncompressing linux" never appears - which is presumably
why GRUB hangs where it does.

I appreciate this is tested on RH9 but my feeling is this is the same
problem as I'm getting with a vanilla FC2 install - a system which cannot
boot a 2.6.8.1 kernel (possibly a 2.6.x kernel).

Just for clarification - I am not changing any BIOS/CMOS settings, hardware
or anything else so there is no logical reason why 2.4.x boots, and 2.6.x
doesn't - other than a hardware incompatibility.  I have recompiled the
2.6.x kernel several times, enabling and disabling APM/ACPI support without
any joy.

I don't think this is a module compatibility issue since the kernel doesn't
even get as far as loading modules, it doesn't even decompress.

I've been frantically searching around Google for any people with similar
experiences but have not turned up anything fruitful as yet.

Thanks,

Darren