Internal vs external domain addressing

antonio.nunes at lifefoundation.plus.com antonio.nunes at lifefoundation.plus.com
Wed Oct 6 09:06:35 UTC 2004

Thanks everybody for the many reactions and extensive help.

It looks like I've solved it, and the solution was simple. I did not need to create views and did not change the
external addressing. All I needed to make our internal network machines see "ourdomain.com" instead of "machine.
ourdmain.com" was to add an "A" entry in the zone file where "ourdomain.com" resolved to the address of our server.
So now there are two "A" entries there: one for "machine" and one for "ourdomain.com".

For now it looks like I've broken nothing with this change. Being very new to BIND and DNS I still do not understand
why there is a difference to how the external world sees the zone records to how the internal world sees it, since
there is nu seperate setup for them, but I'm glad it works now.

Kind regards,
Antonio