network card : device not present

Rodolfo Alcázar rodolfo.alcazar at padep.org.bo
Wed Oct 6 13:38:28 UTC 2004

Hi, Im a newbie at all, but maybe this tips would help you. I came from a
wingows environment, too, and've planned staying in linux.

1. You mention you tried some interconnections. It sounds stupid, but maybe
when you plugged the cable, you loose the card. Verify card connection to
board. If the card has one, check if led works fine. Check cables. Be sure
card works.
2. (you didnt mention it), if kudzu does not report the misconfig when
booting, prbabily is some configuration issue.
3. Check your /etc/modules.conf file. If you are using a Realtek card, maybe
you can try "alias eth0 8139too" or a 8139cp in /etc/modules.conf instead of
3c501.
4. Use dmesg command and check logs (in /var/log dir), maybe you can find
some advice.

Rodolfo