Fedora, Apache & PHP

Peter Borcherds peter at palizdesign.com
Thu Oct 7 11:03:17 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'm busy downloading the Fedora ISO's - my plan is to use a spare PC as a
server for my web development, as well as a Media Server.

What I am planning to do is to use a drive caddy with one HDD with XP Pro,
running IIS5.1 and MS SQL Server 2000, for local development & testing of
ASP coded websites, and another HDD with Fedora, running Apache and mySQL
Server, for local development & testing of PHP coded websites.

My plan for a Media Server is the following:

Now...my questions...

Where is the best place to find out information on setting up a PC as a
development server - somewhere that lists the programs needed and how to
configure them. I am running a wireless network, although I might hardwire
the server to the router for more stability.

Anyone have any useful sites or tips they could send me?  Bear in mind that
I am a Linux newbie (although I did experiment with RedHat 8 a while back),
but am experienced with computers as I also provide IT support for my
clients (from fixing PC problems to building new PC's).

Thanks,

Peter