WinTV-Go and XDMCP

KANE Aaron Aaron.KANE at swift.com
Thu Oct 7 11:58:28 UTC 2004

All,

>Where did you get the card and tuner options?  According to the
>cardlist(s), card=64 is a ATI TV-Wonder VE and tuner=28 is a LG
>PAL_BG+FM (TPI8PSB01D).  I don't think these are correct for the WinTv
>Go.  Remove those lines from modprobe.conf and delete the duplicate
>alias char-major-81 line.

You are correct, I have a old ATI-all-in-wonder as my graphics card.  However since everything I read about use of the card (it is a
OLD model (7200 or something)) said it wasn't supported (or at least very well) as a TV capture device , I swapped a old hard disk
for the Win-TV card, which seemed to be a popular choice.

I was not able to get TVtime to load at all with the ATI card installed.  Only after installing the Win-TV card am I able to do
things like scan for channels.  I have been making a assumption that I am thefore on the new card.  Possibly a poor assumption.

>As to the XDMCP issues:  It's possible that tvtime will not run
>remotely, if that is your intent.  xawtv has (or had) a remote option,
>but at the time I tried it only video was redirected sound
>stayed at the host executing xawtv.  Not very useful for remote TV watching.

Well that's not good news.. :-)  I have a collection of old PCs that I am setting up as a little server farm.  The dedicated purpose
of this whole box is to support TV over xdmcp (whichever application works best)

If I can ever get the TV to work, I will let you know my results for networking the sound.

Thanks Bob,

~Aaron