[OT]: Quiz for scheduler "want to be authors" [Was]: Re: code of process scheduling

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 7 12:10:44 UTC 2004

Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> Quiz for scheduler "want to be authors":
>
> Given:
>        A two man racing team.
>        Race is 100 Km in length.
>        The first team member drives the first half at 50Km/hr.
>
> Question 1:
>        How fast must the second driver drive the second
>        half of the race for the TEAM to average 100Km/hour?

Andrey Andreev (correctly) answered:
> The only way the team would average 100 km/h along the length of the
> race is, as far as my imagination goes, the unlikely event that the
> second driver quantum teleports to the finish line instantly. Either
> that, or fall into a conveniently placed wormhole or something.

Mitch's second question was:
>        Essay, How the heck does this apply to the Linux scheduler.

Andro asked:
> Seriously, how the heck does this apply to the Linux scheduler???

One possible drawback with a scheduler is that it spends so much time
trying to work out the Right Thing To Do that it never gives the system
the chance to do it: gettting on with something vaguely productive might
get things done faster.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind,
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | indistinctly. "Mind you, my first name is Bad."