WinTV-Go and XDMCP

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Oct 7 13:44:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, KANE Aaron wrote:

> All,
>

>> Where did you get the card and tuner options?  According to the
>> cardlist(s), card=64 is a ATI TV-Wonder VE and tuner=28 is a LG
>> PAL_BG+FM (TPI8PSB01D).  I don't think these are correct for the WinTv
>> Go.  Remove those lines from modprobe.conf and delete the duplicate
>> alias char-major-81 line.
>
> You are correct, I have a old ATI-all-in-wonder as my graphics card.  However since everything I read about use of the card (it is a
> OLD model (7200 or something)) said it wasn't supported (or at least very well) as a TV capture device , I swapped a old hard disk
> for the Win-TV card, which seemed to be a popular choice.
>
> I was not able to get TVtime to load at all with the ATI card installed.  Only after installing the Win-TV card am I able to do
> things like scan for channels.  I have been making a assumption that I am thefore on the new card.  Possibly a poor assumption.
>
>> As to the XDMCP issues:  It's possible that tvtime will not run
>> remotely, if that is your intent.  xawtv has (or had) a remote option,
>> but at the time I tried it only video was redirected sound
>> stayed at the host executing xawtv.  Not very useful for remote TV watching.
>
> Well that's not good news.. :-)  I have a collection of old PCs that I am
> setting up as a little server farm.  The dedicated purpose of this whole box
> is to support TV over xdmcp (whichever application works best)
>
> If I can ever get the TV to work, I will let you know my results for
> networking the sound.

If you use a sound deamon like esd you can redirect the sound to another host
on your network, although I've no idea what kind of sync you would be able to
get.

jh

--
"Literature is the art of writing something that will be read twice.
  journalism what will be grasped at once."           -- Cyril Connolly