text vs html posts on this list...

Carlos Davila cedavila at comcast.net
Thu Oct 7 14:48:28 UTC 2004

Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> HTML
>     provides a number of risks and non features that we wish to avoid.
>
>     HTML permits scripts (Java and Java scripts)
>     HTML permits tag images
>     HTML permits volatile external content references ...

All...thanks for your responses. I found the arguments about added cost
in certain parts of the world due to increased connect times and larger
file sizes to be compelling. But I have also come around to appreciate
the other points as well. I remember being irritated at receiving html
emails when I was an "elm" user in the mid 90's...and my initial
response was that this should not be a problem in 2004; however, those
who choose to use command line email readers (or even ascii terminals or
teletypes) should be respected for making that choice. Hey, I remember
using a teletype in the early 80's...they have certain redeeming
qualities, like a hard copy of your session:-)

I'd like to get back to discussing Fedora now...see ya.

CD