text vs html posts on this list...

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Oct 7 18:03:50 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 11:47, Robin Laing wrote:
>
>>Carlos Davila wrote:
>>
>>>Hey, I remember
>>

>>>using a teletype in the early 80's...they have certain redeeming
>>>qualities, like a hard copy of your session:-)
>>>

>>And it was very hard to fall asleep at the terminal when it was
>>clanking away. Good for those late night sessions. :)
>

> Except when you got the one with the ribbon that was about as dry as the
> Sahara....
>
> Have you ever tried to read the impressions left on some of that green
> bar paper... :)

No, we were always lucky to have new ribbons available.

We also didnt' use the green paper much.  We had three types, blocked
  areas, white or rolled like newsprint (most commons) until we got
some thermal TI's.  Ah, thermal printouts on a nice sunny day.  All
black by the time you remember.  Book more computer time and re-print.

Of course there was the paper tape backups.  These made great
streamers off of the 21st floor.

--
Robin Laing