Fstab setup

Williams, David williamsd at portsmouthva.gov
Thu Oct 7 18:53:27 UTC 2004

That worked really well..  Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Scot L. Harris [mailto:webid at cfl.rr.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 2:41 PM
To: 'For users of Fedora Core releases'
Subject: Re: Fstab setup

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 14:14, Williams, David wrote:
> I am mounting a smbfs share from a windows machine to my fedora core 2
> box on boot.  I am using the entry in my fstab to do this.  How can I
> specify the user and password to mount the share without it showing up
> in clear text in the fstab?  Is there a way to hash the password in
> another file and call it from fstab?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

You need to use the credentials=pathtofile/file in the fstab options.

Then in the file you entries like:

username=user
password=verysecurepassword

The file I used was .smbpw down in my home directory with readonly
permissions for the owner.

I used a full path such as /home/user/.smbpw in the credentials line.

Check out the man pages.  I think that is where I found this.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

	"The jig's up, Elman."