How to change screen resolution using shell command.

Chris Vanhoof vanhoof at redhat.com
Fri Oct 8 01:56:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004, Alex White wrote:

> David Le wrote:
>
> >I wonder if there is any shell command that allows me
> >to change this display's resolution or is there any
> >way to recover from this uncompatible setting?
> >
> >If you know how to resolve this problem, please let me
> >know.
>
> As root do the following, I believe this is valid for FC1
>
> redhat-config-xfree86
>
> and there you go.
>
> HTH
>
> Alex White

Or you could just use xrandr if you want to do it on the fly, and you
already have the desired setting set in your xorg.conf.

Run 'xrandr' to see whats available, and to switch to one of those run:

# xrandr -s <width>x<height>

--chris

--
Chris Vanhoof, RHCE                      Phone: 919-754-3700 x44229
Global Support Services             Email: vanhoof at redhat.com
Red Hat, Inc.

GPG Key ID: 32279B5A
GPG Fingerprint: C4C5 8AB8 F61C B5CD 838E  369C 8605 6CBD 3227 9B5A
GPG Public Key: http://people.redhat.com/vanhoof/vanhoof.asc