OT: spammers are using my domain again

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Fri Oct 8 05:50:19 UTC 2004

On October 8, 2004 2:39 am, Phillip T. George wrote:
> Also sounds like you have a "catch all" turned on...meaning ANYTHING
> going to @haligonan.com goes to a specific address.  It would make sense
> to disable this.  The only use (that I can think of, off the top of my

True, I do. I suppose I should disable it, but usually it's no problem and
it's nice to not worry about people mistyping my name. Originally I did it so
I could play funny jokes with a young lady I was dating (by changing my name
to macgyver at haligonian.com, bigbaby at haligonian.com, etc. depending on the
conversation in question) and still be able to receive mails even if she sent
to one of those addresses. But she is so long gone that I had forgotten that
reason until I just had to dig one up to justify the catchall. :-)

> I don't know of any actions you can take to move them on.  Get a new
> domain name and/or new email address is the best way to de-spam..and
> don't give it out ANYWHERE.  Especially do not use your email address
> when registering a domain name...and if possible...don't use your real
> physical address.  It is highly likely that someone picked up your doman

Absolutely. These are all ridiculous email addresses @haligonian.com. THey're
not really using my email address and if I turned off the catchall I could
dump a lot of the bounces.

> To summarize:
> 1. Turn off the "catch all"

check

> 2. If your main email account is getting a lot of spam...try to change
> it if possible

no way. been using it for a decade and bogofilter handles the spam that comes
in so I never see it (never had a false positive that I know of and I monitor
fairly regularly). :-)

> Sounds like you already have some anti-spam software installed.  If not,
> you mght look into SpamAssassin and especially look into "Bayesian
> filtering"

Definitely. That's what bogofilter is. I strongly recommend it. I have it set
up on my single user system, interfaced with Kmail and no procmail or
fetchmail or anything is required.

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com