Newbie question

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Oct 8 07:23:00 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 08:07, Livhu Tshisikule wrote:
> I am currently running Redhat 9 on my machine and would like to install
> Fedora. I have already downloaded the iso files from the internet. My problem
> is that I cannot burn them on to the CD's. I have an LG GCE 8525B cdwriter I
> tried using xcdroast but with no luck.
>
> Is it possible to install FEDORA from NFS, if it is how?

Yes; put all of the CD ISO images in a directory exported by your NFS
server and specify that directory when the installer asks for where to
find Fedora (I assume your NFS server isn't the machine you're trying to
upgrade)?

Your only problem is of course how to run the installer if you can't
burn CDs. Are you using grub with your Red Hat 9 installation? If so,
you can extract the installer kernel and initrd from the first install
CD and add them into your grub menu. I can tell you how to do this if
you don't know - please post your existing grub.conf and confirm that
your NFS server isn't the machine you're upgrading.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>