Newbie question

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Oct 8 10:26:33 UTC 2004

Livhu Tshisikule wrote:
> Paul,
>
> My grub.conf
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda7
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-8)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-8 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
>         initrd /initrd-2.4.20-8.img
>
> I have 3 machines on my network running RedHat 9, the Fedora iso's are not on
> the machine I want to upgrade. Is it not possible to make a boot floppy and
> use it to install. I gave someone my CD's of Redhat.

Here's how to set up the installer on the machine you want to upgrade.

On the machine with the ISO images on it, change to the directory containing
the ISO images, the first one of which should be called FC2-i386-disc1.iso

mkdir /mnt/iso /tmp/fc2files
mount -r -o loop FC2-i386-disc1.iso /mnt/iso
cp /mnt/iso/images/boot.iso /tmp/fc2files
umount /mnt/iso
mount -r -o loop /tmp/fc2files/boot.iso /mnt/iso
cp /mnt/iso/isolinux/vmlinuz /tmp/fc2files/fc2-vmlinuz
cp /mnt/iso/isolinux/initrd.img /tmp/fc2files/fc2-initrd.img
umount /mnt/iso
rmdir /mnt/iso
rm /tmp/fc2files/boot.iso

Directory /tmp/fc2files should now contain two files, fc2-vmlinuz and
fc2-initrd.img. Copy these to the /boot directory of the machine you want to
upgrade to FC2.

Then add the following entry to the grub.conf file on the machine to be upgraded:

title Fedora Core Linux 2 Install
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /fc2-vmlinuz ramdisk_size=8192
	initrd /fc2-initrd.img

If you want to do a text-mode, low resolution or expert install, add the words
  "text", "lowres" or "expert" respectively to the end of the "kernel" line.

When you reboot the machine, you should now have an option to enter the FC2
Installer, and then go ahead with your NFS install.

Paul.