OT: spammers are using my domain again

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Oct 8 10:32:30 UTC 2004

Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
> On Fre, 2004-10-08 at 10:58 +0100, Phil Hannent wrote:
>
>>Trouble is that for many anti-virus packages the default is to notify
>>the sender.
>

> For anti-virus vendors this is very cheap and effective advertising -
> pretend to be a competent third party admin telling the user he has a
> virus and should check his computer and tell him which vendor's software
> you use.

Except that many recipients of such messages will think "ah, that's another
stupid anti-virus product that can be configured (maybe even by default) to
send virus notifications for viruses that are *known* to forge sender
addresses; given that the software can have errors as elementary as that in
it, I shan't be considering it for any anti-virus systems that I'll be
implementing any time soon." This thought immediately being followed by a
quick edit of the mail server's access database or equivalent to block any
more such notifications from the same source.

Paul.