File system fragmentation

Mark Haney mhaney at interactsys.com
Fri Oct 8 13:55:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 09:45, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 09:25 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:

> > > heavily dependant on free disk space.
> > >
> > > The less space available to the kernel when storing data, the higher the
> > > level of fragmentation.
> >

> > > You can use filefrag to work out how fragmented a file is, which is
> > > handy for large files, no so handy for lots and lots of small files.
> > >
> > > May be not what you were after, but I hope it helps a bit.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Douglas Furlong
> > Yeah, it's a start.  I pretty much figured it was going to be the same
> > story as any other file system.  I push my systems hard.  And I have
> > lots of small files which doesn't really help.
> >
> > Now, can anyone tell me if a defragmenter would help for ext3?  Or not?
> > It helps a ton with NTFS, but would the same thing happen to a linux fs?
> I don't know if there IS a defragmenter for linux, I know man -k doesn't
> provide any new information for defrag or any thing similar.
>
> EXT3 (essentially EXT2 for this purpose) deals with fragmentation is a
> much smarter way then NTFS and FAT, but if you leave no space on your
> disks there isn't THAT much it can do.
>
> Can you not try and free up space?

I have plenty of space left on the partition (15GB or so out of 30GB)
but I noticed that Evolution takes a while (a couple seconds I mean it's
not a huge difference, but I am noticing it) and began to wonder if a
defrag would help.  As I said in another post, I'm beginning to dig into
linux file systems a bit deeper and it was beginning to nag me that I
didn't know something.  I hate that.

Thanks for all the help.

> --
> Douglas Furlong
> Systems Administrator
> Firebox.com
> T: 0870 420 4475        F: 0870 220 2178

Mark Haney
Network Administrator
InterAct Public Safety Systems
mhaney at interactsys.com
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) Kernel: 2.6.8-1.521 GNU/Linux