OT: spammers are using my domain again

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Oct 8 14:13:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 08:59:58AM -0300, Trevor Smith wrote:
> Interesting. I have a small hitch: I send through my web hoster's smtp
> server when my laptop is at school but when I'm at home, my local telco is
> the only server I can successfully send through. So as I understand pobox,
> my web hoster (who is a small company in Quebec) would have to keep track
> of my local telco's servers (and they are in Nova Scotia) and keep the
> info updated in the pobox records. For those who don't know the geography,
> there is roughly 1,000 KM (600 miles) between the two places and the web
> hoster is probably 1 or 2 people while the telco is 45,000 people.

There's no 'pobox' records -- the SPF record goes in the DNS records you
publish. Looks like your DNS is provided by "azhosting.biz' -- probably
your web provider too, I assume. If they don't let you set DNS records
directly, you really should consider switching to someone better.

Also, the required data really shouldn't change much. Your local telco
probably only has a handful of SMTP servers (if that) and their names
probably don't change much.

Or, if you're very lucky, _they_ use SPF already, and you can use the
'include:' SPF mechanism to refer to their record once and be done with it.