Anti-Virus Software ?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Fri Oct 8 20:20:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 15:03, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> Actually John has a point still.  A large number of the viruses out
> there target IIS installations which is not necessarily running on every
> desktop instance out there.  However there is still the issue that the
> OS sitting in front of the hacker is what they will craft their exploits
> for so over all most of them have windows boxes sitting in front of
> them.  Of course if you compare the number of exploits on IIS to
> apache..........

    Also keep in mind that Linux makes it 'harder' to make exploits than
these kiddies are used to.  No AV toolkit, they have to actually _learn_
something to get started...sure, all the code is there, the educational
materials (doesn't that sound better than man-pages?) are, too.

    At the bank where I work, we lock the doors to the stairways in the
parking garage.  Not because it will ultimately blockade any intrustion-
nothing of the sort.  Anyone can walk, or drive, right up the ramp.  But
the effort of checking a door, and it's locked, then learning some
_work_ is involved keeps skateboarders, bums, drunks and other trouble
makers outta there in the wee hours.

    And maybe...just maybe...some of these kids will see how much more
sophisticated this thing is under the hood and decide he wants HIS name
on the credits, and stop being a child.  (Well, ok- I can dream, aye?)

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller