Moving Along with Fedora!

John Thompson JohnThompson at new.rr.com
Fri Oct 8 23:40:21 UTC 2004

David Mamanakis wrote:

> Because I have limited exposure to Unix/Linux I would like to ask a question
> about the directory structure of Linux...
> When I installed, I used the "auto setup" thing, and let it have at it...
> Now I have all kinds of directories like "\" and "\root" and "\usr"...

More likely "/" "/root" and "/usr" -- better get accustomed to regular
slashes for separating directories.  BTW, the reason why Windows uses
the backslash "\" to separate directories is because back in the DOS
days the "/" character was used for command switches.  *nix uses "-" for
this purpose.

"/" is the root; everything else is underneath this -- programs, data
files, devices, everything.

"/root" is just the root user's home directory.  It is handled
separately than the user home directories (usually under "/home")
because there are cases where root needs to do things when the /home
hierarchy isn't available.  Some machines -- like the one I'm using now
-- don't even have any user directories under /home.  In my case, /home
is nfs mounted from a FreeBSD machine.

> What I would like to know, and feel free to mail me directly, or point me to a
> web resource, but I would like to know the windows equivelent of the linux
> directories...
> C:\ = ??? in linux system
> C:\Windows = ??? in linux
> C:\Program Files = ??? in linux
> etc...
> or better yet, run it backwards...
> \ = ??? in windows system
> \root = ??? in windows
> \usr = ??? in windows
>
> This would help me navigate and get comfortable with the new system...

This may be helpful to you:

	http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

--

-John (john at os2.dhs.org)