New Install /w Misc. problems

Pybe squalidstuff at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 12:36:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 11:15:44 -0600, Lloyd Hayes
<lloyd545220-trucker at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'll start with the Xsane problems. Running FC2 on an older Gateway
> laptop, P1, 233 MHz, 128 MB RAM, 6 GB Hard drive.
> In addition to the above hardware, I have a HP PSC-1210 (All-in-one
> Scanner/Printer), 40 GB USB v2.0 Hard drive (Buslink), USB v2.0 52X
> CD-Burner/DVD Player, PCMCIA USB v2.0 hub, 2 PCMCIA 802.11b cards
> (Netware and a generic one which was free), PCMCIA US Robotics 802.11g
> card, Nikon camera w/usb connector, various other media usb connectors.

What are the card models? google "linux manuf model"

Fedora is redhat >> http://fedora.redhat.com

> 1.) I'll hit the Wi-Fi cards 1st. I travel all of the time and hook
> exclusively into the Internet by WiFi systems across the country.  I use
> my US Robotics "g" card most of the time since most systems are running
> at 5.4 MB/sec, but a few are only running at 2.2 MB/sec or "b" speeds.
> So far none of my cards has been supported by a UNIX type system. I'm
> curious if anything is being done in that area?

google as above for the card. you might need to get ndiswrapper for this card.

> 2.) HP PSC-1210 printer/scanner. It prints out fine using the cups
> drivers. But Xsane is not showing up in Gnome, except in Gimp. When I
> run Sane under Gimp, it searches for the scanner and says that there is
> no scanner connected. After the search, it only gives me the option of
> closing the search program. I don't know of a way to manually configure it.

try running xsane from run or a terminal.

> 3.) In the same line, this laptop has a neomagic sound system. None of
> the automatic detections systems can find it. On Red Hat 9, there was a
> configuration file to manually set the sound system. I can't find that
> on FC2. Anyone have any ideas here?

lspci | grep audio

google for the card listed as per the wifi cards.

> 4.) Mad Dog 52X CD-Burner/DVD Player. The system recognizes this unit
> connected by USB v2.0 plug. But seems unable to read or write to it. I
> thought that it was because it was hooked into the PCMCIA v2.0 hub. But
> the problems seems to exist when hooked into the older USB v1.0 plug,
> although the CD-Burner can not write very well from a v1.0 USB plug.
> This unit is less then 6 months old. Interestingly enough, I think that
> Red Hat 9 identified it and read from it OK. I didn't try writing to it.

how are you trying to mount and read the cd?

This might get you started >> http://www.robfisher.net/video/

> Both the hard drive and printer work fine from the USB plugs.
>
> 5.) Checking system logs:
> mdmpd failed.

google this you will find info that might help.

> 6.) On Startup, I get:
> agpgart (Unsupported Intel Chipset: Device ID 7100)

as above.

> There are many issues here. I just re-installed FC2 yesterday. The Red
> Hat line of products seems to support laptops better then any other
> distribution.

Fedora is redhat >> http://fedora.redhat.com

google is you friend, it has shed loads of info about most anything.

hope this helps kick you off.

Pybe