OT: spammers are using my domain again

Phillip T. George me at PhillipGeorge.com
Sat Oct 9 15:40:55 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 04:18, Phillip T. George wrote:
>

>>Most likely your ISP is blocking outgoing (& incoming) port 25...SMTP.
>>Its a common and wise trend with ISPs.  They force you to use their
>>SMTP.  They don't want to get on spam lists is the reason why.  Its a
>>great idea.  You might contact your hosting service @haligonian.com and
>>see if they have an alternative SMTP port that you can use.  I
>>personally let my clients use port 2025, though 2525 is also a popular
>>choice.
>>

>The "proper" solution to this is really to use SMTP submission on port
>587. This should use SMTP AUTH and should work from anywhere if your
>hosting service provides it. It's not open to relay because of the SMTP
>AUTH requirement and hence nobody should be blocking port 587.
>
>Paul.

Paul,

Very interesting.  Where did you come up with this solution from?  I
haven't heard of port 587 being used for any kind of SMTP...But googling
it reveals quite a bit, and browsing /etc/services it shows it listed as
well.  Don't know how I looked over this....

Thanks,
Phillip