Looking for backup software of complete system

Rick Lim ricklim at telus.net
Sat Oct 9 19:22:01 UTC 2004

My preferred method of backup would be to rewriteable CD ROM, not meaning to
start a flame war but with my experience of tapes,,,, they eventually wear
out, you always write over the same section of tape at the start and this is
the most likely failure point, not to mention stretch, size of media etc.

The criteria for the backup software is

1) Total OS and installed software backup of running system without taking
it offline
2) Preferable GNU
3) CD-RW back media
4) Either 'Boot and restore from media' or very little intervention to
restore.
5) EXT2 and EXT3 filesystems
6) Does not have to do incremental backup, a complete image is preferred.