cant mount drive

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Oct 9 19:56:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 03:43, Thornton wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 17:44, Filippos Klironomos wrote:
> > >
> > > yes i restarted then even tried a reboot
> > >

> > Alright! What does
> >
> > ls -l /dev/cdrom
> >
> > give you? What is the output of
> >
> > cdrecord -scanbus
> >
> > >From what I see something is claiming rights on your cdrom and doesn't
> > let anybody else operate on it. This something can operate only
> > through the driver that runs the device. So either that driver is
> > mulfunctioning or something else is fixing itself on the cdrom.
> >
> > So a couple of things to do is to shut down X-Windows and on one of
> > the terminals try to mount the cdrom and see what happens (that way
> > you'll know for sure that it's not the 'automount' thing I hinted in
> >
> > Then browse around your /proc/ide/hdc/ directory that has all the info
> > about the device and post your results.
> >
> > I can think of only three things: 'automout' feature, faulty module,
> > bad SCSI, ATAPI module setup.
> >
> > Good luck!
>
> When I bootup it is giving an error of mount fd type ro is not
> recognized.  I tried booting w/ an older kernel and that didnt fix that.
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 Jun 17 22:10 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
>
> cdrecord -scanbus

Try using cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI

Also, as previously noted, if you are using the 2.6.8 kernel it has
burning disabled for a non-root user.  That does not seem to be your
error though.

rebooting will kill all processes, but will not stop nautilus from
launching the cdcreator window when a blank CD is inserted.

Does the cdcreator window open when the disk is inserted? without having
the burner software loaded?

Are you logged in at command line or with X running?