PcAnywhere equivalent

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Sun Oct 10 15:57:44 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 16:53 +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> Of course, if both boxes are running Linux (or any compat unix) and
> you're using X then SSH will do the GUI stuff too.  All you need to do
> is enable X forwarding on both boxes (default?) and you've got remote X
> working.
>
> This is how I work from home and it works great.  Much more flexable
> (including working cut/paste etc) and better use of bandwidth than
> VNC/PCAnywhere etc.  Just remember to use the -C option to enable
> compression.

Each has their own advantages. For quick 'open a window do something,
get out' jobs, I use SSH X forwarding. I often use VNC through an SSH
tunnel if I need to do work involving multiple windows, or if it's
something I want to be able to stop and resume from another machine.

--
Aaron Gaudio <prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org>