KDE Menu Editing

H. Dox heterodox at satx.rr.com
Sun Oct 10 16:22:00 UTC 2004

Paul Vandenberg wrote:
> For any KDE users out there using FC2, you may have noticed that KDE
> menu editing is broken out of the box. You can change existing items,
> but you can't add or delete items. I have found that if you copy the
> contents of /etc/xdg/menus to ~/.config/menus, you can then add or
> delete menu items. You still need to be a bit careful as it doesn't
> seem to handle moving items from one category to another very well.
>
> It would be nice to have menu editing enabled in GNOME as well, but
> that doesn't seem like it's coming anytime soon. I know that menu
> editing isn't important if all that you use are RPMs created for
> Fedora, but not all software comes this way. I usually like to grab
> the latest Firefox as it comes out and a menu item needs to be
> manually created for it as it is shipped via a tarball.
>
> Paul

I have found that if I go to ~/.config/menus and remove all files except
applications-kmenuedit.menu that I can edit the kmenu with the KDE menu
editor without any problem. I *think* the other files are put there by
gnome and since I don't generally use gnome I don't need them. I'm not
sure how one might work around the problem if they wish to use both
gnome and KDE.

H. Dox