mount/export network file system

Mike Noble mgnoble at cox.net
Mon Oct 11 15:28:24 UTC 2004

ZHANG YD wrote:
> RE: enable the nfs service on the machine tree.
>
> how to set this pc be the nfs service enabled?
>

> --- Mike Noble <mgnoble at cox.net> wrote:
>

>>ZHANG YD wrote:
>>
>>>hi,
>>>I try to export network file system from a PC
>>
>>'tree'
>>
>>>to another pc 'frog'. The 'tree' installed with
>>
>>PC2,
>>
>>>'frog' installed with RH 9.0, both are networked
>>
>>under
>>
>>>the same domain, eg its.edu.au
>>>
>>>here is /etc/exports script:
>>>
>>># export file system to frog
>>>/home/user4 frog(rw,async,no_root_squash)
>>>
>>>the nfs service started ok eg
>>>/sbin/service nfs restart
>>>Shutting down NFS mountd:             [  OK  ]
>>>Shutting down NFS daemon:             [  OK  ]
>>>Shutting down NFS quotas:             [  OK  ]
>>>Shutting down NFS services:           [  OK  ]
>>>Starting NFS services:                [  OK  ]
>>>Starting NFS quotas:                  [  OK  ]
>>>Starting NFS daemon:                  [  OK  ]
>>>Starting NFS mountd:                  [  OK  ]
>>>
>>>the fstab line at frog is
>>>tree:/home/user4   /mnt/tree  nfs  defaults 0 0
>>>when I tried to mount this at frog with
>>>
>>>mount /mnt/tree
>>>
>>>I got a error message:
>>>
>>>mount: RPC: Remote system error - No route to host
>>>
>>>could sone help me fix this?
>>>
>>>YD
>>>

>>enable the nfs service on the machine tree.
>>
>>You you also change the /etc/fstab line to read:
>>tree:/home/user4   /mnt/tree  nfs  defaults 1 2
>>
>>Mike

Forgive me for not knowing the name for this icon on the gnome panel
(it's the one with a red hat).

RedHat -> System Settings -> Server Settings -> Services

You will be asked to enter roots password and it will then display a
list of services.  On the left side is a box which either has a check
mark or not in the box.  Go down the list till you find one that
says nfs, click on the box to set it to start at boot time.  At the top
of the Service configuration window is an icon that says Start, you
want to click on that icon to start the service now.

You now should be able to mount file systems from that machine.

Mike
--
Usenix member  http://www.usenix.org
Sage member    http://www.sage.org