Wireless

Filippos Klironomos PresarioD at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 16:31:02 UTC 2004

> Perhaps I didn't install
> Linux correctly, I upgraded from RH9 and used the laptop installation.
> Also, as I see the services loading at startup I can see my pcmcia slot
> recognized as a YENTA socket so the pcmcia services must be working
> somewere!

Ok, So the kernel is one thing and the kernel source is another. The
kernel is the vimlinuz file under /boot directory. This is the brains
of the operating system. But when you want to download the source of
some package and compile it manually you have to have the kernel
source as well properly configured!

The easy way is to see if they have precompiled versions of the
drivers matching your kernel. That way you can just install those and
save yourself the hasle. If this is not an option you should download
the kernel-source, configure it and run it for a few seconds so the
'linux/version.h' headers are created. Then break out of the process
(since I assume you don't want to build your own kernel) and then
proceed with the compilation of your driver. It should work this time.

Notice that the step of configuring the kernel is non trivial and
beyond this little tutorial here! You can find many good tutorials all
around on how to do that especially for the 2.6 kernel series.

Good luck!