k3b race condition with mp3?

john bray jmblin at comcast.net
Mon Oct 11 17:36:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 02:51, khage wrote:

        I have used k3b successfully for some time, burning dvds, data
        music for
        a while on both dvdrs and cd's.
        But lately k3b sometimes when i burn mp3 get the whole fedora to
        standstill, the harddisk works overtime and cant even bring up
        the
        screen after one hour working :)
        I have been able to shutdown as root though(ctrl-alt+f2) and got
        no
        errors through the shutdown process.
        Today the same happened and i got a bunch of errors (when
        shutting
        down), it told me that highmem was 0 and i was out of memory for
        each
        gnomeapplet/program that had a processid (probably).

        I have fc2 installed with the 2.6.8-1.521 kernel, latest k3b,
        running
        gnome (that followed fc2), latest xorg-x11, updated last night
        in hope
        to solve this issue.
        My box: athlon 1.33, 512 mb ram, nvidia geforce2 32 mb...

        My question is where to look in my box for some useful info that
        i can
        try to solve this issue? im for sure running out of memory.

        Btw, could the xserver also be involved in this memory issue?

Several of us are having similar problems with this.  It seems to happen
with about any attempt at burning an audio cd.  I believe that the
problem is in cdrecord, rather than k3b.

john