URGENT sis hsp 56 MR modem

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 12 00:53:55 UTC 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 04:06 pm, adel.essafi at laposte.net wrote:
> hi list
> please, does someone succeeded to find a driver for a hsp56MR winmodem
> driver on FC1.
> thank you

Adel:
I've never had any experience with that modem, but I can give you some advice
about where you might help you.

1. http://www.linmodems.org -- Some excellent background information there, as
well as links to other useful sites. Be sure to search their discussion list
archives. Also, they have a link to the linmodem how-to. However, be aware
that it is three years old, and some of the information may be out of date.

2. I found one applicable thread in the Fedora list archives:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&w=2&r=1&s=hsp56+mr&q=b

3. Search google for "linux fedora hsp56mr" and "linux fedora hsp56 mr". (If I
were more skilled at using google I could probably devise a better query to
cover both model numbers at one time.) Incidentally, the generated lists
could be reduced by using Google's language choice option.

Several years ago, the standard response on linux mailing lists to your
question would have been, "It won't work and you have to buy a real serial
port modem". Fortunately, through the hard work of some members of the linux
community, workarounds and fixes have been devised so that it is now possible
to make many winmodems workable. However, I will stay with my beloved Zoom
external serial modem: no drivers, no compilations, it just works.

-- cmg