More X freezes

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Oct 12 04:47:41 UTC 2004

I was running happily along with the latest kernel (2.6.8-1.528) and the
latest xorg updates about 3 weeks ago (just before the last round of
xorg updates?).  In addition, I was running the nvidia video driver
version 6106.  I was experiencing *no* hangs from the X server since
upgrading to this nvidia release.

Then, when the last xorg updates came through, I also upgraded to the
6111 nvidia driver, *AND* I turned on pre-linking.  After restarting X,
it froze up on me about 3 days later (after a prlonged idle period: the
screensaver hangs, the keyboard gets ignored, the mouse doesn't work,
and if I go to another computer and ssh in, I see that "X" is consuming
all the cpu cycles it can get its hands on.)  The only way to recover is
to "telinit 3", then kill the running X server and wait for it to clean
up.  At this point, I still don't have mouse or keyboard control, until
I issue "telinit 5" and the X server restarts.  Then the console
keyboard and mouse work again.

I tried backing the nvidia driver back to 6106, but I experienced
another hang 2-3 days later, so I'm pretty sure its not the nvidia driver.

I am now beginning to suspect that its the pre-link stuff I installed
and started up.  Here's the big question:  Can I just un-install the
prelink RPM?  What about all of the binaries that have already been
pre-linked?  Any way to restore them to their "pre" pre-linked states?
I suspect that I'll rebuild the nvidia module again after I remove
prelink (anyways), and report back here if I get another hang....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net