PAM logging - how do you switch it on?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Wed Oct 13 00:41:03 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I am trying to configure a box to authenticate against an LDAP server.
Easy thinks I, just follow the exact same steps used on an existing
server that works and we will be laughing. But of course no.

When I log in as root and try to su to a normal user stored in the LDAP
server, I get "incorrect password".

I am trying to find a log file that will tell me what it's trying to do
exactly - when run as root, su should not care what the password is.

How do I turn pam logging on? I thought I would see the output in
/var/log/secure, but I do not.

Regards,
Graham