cant mount drive

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Oct 13 01:16:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 19:42, Thornton wrote:
> > This is alot similar to another post about  problems with cd writing.
> > Is this an external CD drive? You see scsi_mod has taken over and
> > 'sd_mod' instead of 'sr_mod' which is for a CD. What this means
> > according to my humble opinion is that the kernel thinks you external
> > usb CD drive is a SCSI storage device.
> I have an internal IDE CDRW.
>
> > So do a
> >
> > cat /proc/ide/hdc/* > hdc.info
> >
> > and post the contents of 'hdc.info'.
>
> cat /proc/ide/hdc/* > hdc.info
> -bash: hdc.info: No such file or directory

This seems to have a problem.  If cat does not work then it seems
indicative of something deeper than previously thought.

Can you do a cat on /etc/modprobe.comf ?
Were you SUed to root when you did the cat on /proc/ide/hdc/* ?
What directory were you in when you did that?

This is what I see when as a regular user, then as root.

[jeff at goliath jeff]$ cat /proc/ide/hdc/*
8955392
ide-cdrom version 4.61
cat: /proc/ide/hdc/identify: Permission denied
cdrom
VOM-12E48X
cat: /proc/ide/hdc/settings: Permission denied

[jeff at goliath jeff]$ su -
Password:

[root at goliath root]# cat /proc/ide/hdc/*
8955392
ide-cdrom version 4.61
85c0 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020
2020 2020 2020 2020 0000 0000 0000 5645
522d 3130 3041 564f 4d2d 3132 4534 3858
2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020
2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 2020 0000
0000 0b00 0000 0200 0200 0006 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0007
0003 0078 0078 00e3 0078 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0407 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
cdrom
VOM-12E48X
name        value        min          max          mode
----        -----        ---          ---          ----
current_speed 66           0            70           rw
dsc_overlap   1            0            1            rw
ide-scsi      0            0            1            rw
init_speed    12           0            70           rw
io_32bit      1            0            3            rw
keepsettings  0            0            1            rw
nice1         1            0            1            rw
number        2            0            3            rw
pio_mode      write-only   0            255          w
unmaskirq     1            0            1            rw
using_dma     1            0            1            rw
[root at goliath root]#