Dual Head Video Cards

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Oct 13 17:53:52 UTC 2004

Most Excellent news:

I put the card in last night, and it works great.

First I saved the xorg.conf file, then using the system display settings
application, I went to the dual head tab and enabled dual head and
configured the second monitor, and selected the individual displays
mode. After exiting the system display settings application I edited
the xorg.conf file to make sure it was still using the prper settings for
the nVidia binary drivers {It changed to using "nv" rather than "nvidia"
and had enabled dri, which I disabled}. I logged out of the session and
gave X a three finger salute [CTRL-ALT-BKSPC], and when it
restarted I had two seperate desktops, with the second display to the right
of the first.

I did some testing and could watch movies with mplayer on either display
at the same time I was watching tvtime on the other display. I don't
remember if I tested running tvtime full screen on both displays, but
I did test it on the first display. The only "glitch" I came across was
when
watching tvtime in full screen, then when you click the mouse in the
second display the panel pops up on the first display.

I would say that the ASUS V9180 VideoSuite works great as a dual head
display. It has two DVI ports, TV-Out and Video-In and come with two
DVI to VGA adapters and a cable for Video-in and TV-out. I have not
been able to get the Video-in to work under linux yet, but haven't tried
in the last 6 months either, and have never tried the TV-Out. The 3D
seems good with the binary driver, but since I don't play games I don't
know what to compare it to.

Happy Hunting.

--
Guy Fraser