Serial Port Monitoring

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 13 20:06:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 10:50:22PM -0500, Mike Klinke wrote:
> > Has anyone got any software that can monitor all data  from a
> > serial port?
> >
> > I have looked around and found a couple of projects, but I can't
> > find anything that can time stamp the data as well as log it.
> >
> > I am currently looking at slsnif-0.4.3, which seems to be able to
> > do it only I am getting an error :
> >
> > Serial Line Sniffer. Version 0.4.3
> >         Copyright (C) 2001 Yan Gurtovoy (ymg at dakotacom.net)
> >
> > Failed to open a pty: No such file or directory
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what this may be?

Look in the code where it attempts to get the pty.
I suspect you will see that it is opening old style
ptys.

If you strace the application it you will see:

    10179 open("/dev/ptyp0", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK|O_NOCTTY) = -1 ENXIO (No such device or address)
    10179 open("/dev/ptyp1", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK|O_NOCTTY) = -1 ENXIO (No such device or address)
    10179 open("/dev/ptypa", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK|O_NOCTTY) = -1 ENXIO (No such device or address)
    ....about 175 error of this type .....

Hint, to fix this  see the man page for openpty() and other such
stuff in a modern programming text.

Bigger hint, The code below this comment is broken:
  /* Search for a free pty */

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy