Ghost ideas/thoughts please

Colin J Thomson colin at g6avk.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 23:01:02 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 13 Oct 2004 23:36, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 08:29, Colin J Thomson wrote:
> > Following up from my "Drive Upgrade questions" post:
> >
> > I finally installed my new SATA drive and with a bit work I can see the
> > drive with "dmesg". It was just a case of probing the correct driver
> > and adding it to my rc.local, the Drive is seen as a SCSI (sda)
> > I guess thats what I get for running a custom kernel (a bit more work
> > to do) :)
> >
> > I have followed the threads on "ghosting" a drive but I dont feel very
> > comfortable just yet trying it, the plan of action is ghost my working
> > fC2 system (hda) to the new SATA drive (sda) and Boot from the SATA
> > drive.
> >
> > The plan of action is to boot up from the FC2 CD in rescue mode and use
> > DD, and issue this command:
> >
> > dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hde
>
> This is NOT a good plan.

Ok,

> The copy will have the exact same partition table/geometry/labels/etc as
> the original.  It will likely damage the destination drive unless the
> destination is exactly the same as the original ( make/model/ CHS/etc.)

Good point,
I also should of mentioned in my original post that the new SATA drive is
twice the size of the current one..

> You can create the partitons on the new drive then copy data over,

Yes this is an option as well, and then I guess create a new MBR, I am just
a little nervous of doing that.

> or use  g4u to do what you want.
>
> for info see http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

Excellent! I will have a look at that site tommorow.

Cheers,

Colin

--
Fedora Core 2, Custom Built Kernel 2.6.8.1
KDE-Redhat-3.3.1-0.2.2.kde