cant mount drive

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Thu Oct 14 01:59:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 20:45, Thornton wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 17:16, Filippos Klironomos wrote:
> > This is beyond me. If the mount command works properly once typed on a
> > terminal but doesn't work as it is supposed to work when you click on
> > an icon, then the only thing that I can think of is some messed up
> > setting for the cdrom properties on the desktop manager that you use.
> >
> > Do you use GNOME of KDE?
>
> It does seem to be just the desktop manager though as if I type this it
> wont mount.
>
> mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
> mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: /dev/cdrom already mounted or /mnt/cdrom busy
>
> but if I type mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660 -o ro it does
> mount.

When you type in the first one, specifying only the device and
mountpoint, it is supposed to obtain the fstype and options from
/etc/fstab.  In the second example, since you specified everything, it
would, I believe, not be using /etc/fstab.  So I got to believe that
there is still something wrong on the /dev/cdrom line in /etc/fstab.
That line is supposed to be managed by kudzu (hence the kudzu found in
the options)....

Perhaps try commenting out the existing /dev/cdrom line and manually
typing in:
/dev/cdrom  /mnt/cdrom  udf,iso9660  noauto,owner,ro  0 0

Removing the kudzu should declare that kudzu no longer manages that line
when you reboot....  Also that is three letters iso followed by four
numbers 9660, and take care that they are commas not periods between the
components....

Then try doing the following:

mount /mnt/cdrom

Has it changed anything??  Or do you still need to specify it all??

I am wondering how kudzu screwed up the fstab....

--Rob