Apt repos of fc3 test3 (yum is too slow)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Oct 14 07:37:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Mike Perry wrote:

> Do any apt repositories exist for core 3 test 3 yet?

Freshrpms has apt repository for the development (aka rawhide) tree of
Fedora which allows you to keep up with updates:
"rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux development/i386 core"
in apt's sources.list ought to do it.

> Also, could somebody please tell me why it is that yum was selected
> for the default package upgrade mechanism? I would have expected there
> to have been many flame wars on this, but searching google only
> reveals a few offhand remarks.

Yes, there have been rather endless "discussions" about the topic. Lets
not go there again.

> It seems to me if any kind of speed is desired, yum is broken by
> design. Keeping each package header in a separate file prevents TCP
> slow start from ever reaching the bandwidth of your link since a new
> connection must be established for each file. Hence a yum update can
> take ages, even on extremely fast internet connections.
>
> Is it possible for yum to download all headers in a single archive
> file to speed things up?

Yum in FC3test3 is a LOT faster than it was on FC2. Still can't beat apt
but the new XML metadata is probably a lot slower to process than what apt
natively uses, it's going to be interesting to see how apt compares once
the new metadata support gets added into it.

	- -Panu -