ghosted - 80gb to 36gb

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Oct 14 14:16:53 UTC 2004

Below is a web link that I used.
On my system, you boot from the rescue floppy, and change to the
/boot/grub directory and do the root (hd0,1) and setup(hd0). On my
machine, it is (hd0,5). Then it works fine.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2000042113083825

To make the destination computer bootable, run the Linux GRUB boot loader utility to reinstall the boot loader:

   1. Start the computer from the Linux rescue disk.
   2. Log in as "root" (without the quote marks).
   3. Run the GRUB boot loader. This displays the GRUB prompt, grub>
   4. Type:

      find /boot/grub/stage1

      This will prompt GRUB to display the location of the GRUB boot files. For instance, GRUB might display (hd0,1) where hd0 represents the first hard drive in the computer (either IDE or SCSI) and the ",1" represents the partition where the /boot/grub/stage1 file is located. In this example, the stage1 file is located on the second partition of the first hard drive (where drive and partition numbering start at 0).
   5. Type the word root, followed by the location of the file from the previous step:

      root (hd0,1)

      The file location, (hd0,1) may be different on your computer.
   6. Type:

      setup (hd0)

      This will write the boot loader to the Master Boot Record on the first hard drive on the computer.

The GRUB boot loader should now be properly re-installed, and you should be able to restart the computer from the hard drive.