Image a diskette?

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Thu Oct 14 14:44:56 UTC 2004

Francis Stevens wrote:

> Bob Hartung wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>   How do I go about creating an image of a floppy diskette that I can
>> use to clone the diskette and use as storage for archival purposes?
>> All I need is the command and then I'll read the relevant parts.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bob
>>

> I use:-
>
>     dd if=/dev/fd0 of=./copyofafloppydisk
>
> to create a file which is a copy of the floppy disk and
>
>     dd if=./copyofafloppydisk of=/dev/fd0
>
> to create the new floppy.

I like to name the copy ending in .img just to help me keep straight
what kind of file it is.

Note also that you can edit the contents directly within the image file
by mounting it like so:
mkdir /mnt/foo
mount -o loop copyofafloppydisk /mnt/foo
# edit things under /mnt/foo as you wish
umount /mnt/foo

Ahh, the power of Linux!

Chris