Global aliases

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 14 16:27:50 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 07:53:52AM -0400, Craig wrote:

> >The alias of vi=vim for bash is set up in /etc/profile.d/vim.sh; as I
> >mentioned yesterday, the aliases for /bin/sh are used by bash.
> >
> >Paul.
> Quite right. I misundestood what you were looking for. Paul's right, you
> want the /etc/profile.d/vim.sh.

Caution.  Editing default files impacts all users including root and
daemon processes.  In addition changes in profile.d may not be
preserved or applicable in updates and upgrades.

Since /etc/bashrc sources all the .sh files in /etc/profile.d/ it
might be better to isolate changes to a local file perhaps
"/etc/profile.d/zzzLocal.sh" (globbing must source it
last).

My preference is a dot file in $HOME/

If there is a change made to a system default file it is valuable that
a record of the change needs to be made to a system notebook/Log.

Snip lots of bits that have less value than some expect,
and since they are near random they screw up compression too ;-(
> -----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	May your cup runneth over with goodness and mercy
	and may your buffers never overflow.