whereami-like program under Fedora?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Oct 14 22:24:51 UTC 2004

Timothy Murphy wrote:

>> Le mar 12/10/2004 à 13:32, Timothy Murphy a écrit :
>>> I'm looking for a program to run on my laptop
>>> which will set up network connections properly
>>> according to whether I am at home or at work.

>> Look in the menu : System Parameters -> Network.
>>
>> It allows you to create different profiles and to (de)activate different
>> interfaces and parameters (DNS, route...) according each profile.
>>
>> The "user" side of this tool is "Network Connection Control" in the
>> System Tools menu that allows user to (de)activate interfaces (if you
>> allow users to activate these interfaces).
>
> Thanks for pointing this out to me.
> It looks as though it is exactly what I want -
> but unfortunately I found it more or less unusable.

I must apologise - I didn't read the info you get
by clicking on the Help tab in Start=>System Settings=>Network .
(I mistakenly thought the Help file was empty.)

I am still slightly puzzled by these two programs -
Start=>System Settings=>Network
and Start=>Stytem Tools=>Network Device Control -
they seem to overlap in a bizarre way,
eg you can change the Profile in either program,
you can change the IP addresses in each,
but you can only change to DHCP in the second
(whereas it would be more logical, it seems to me,
for this to be in System Settings).

There also appears a bug in the programs,
or else I misunderstand its functioning.
I have two logical devices, WiFi and TCD,
both associated to the physical device eth0.
I have two Profiles, the Common or default Profile always present
and a second Profile called TCD.
I want to turn on the TCD logical device in the TCD Profile,
and the WiFi logical device in the Common Profile,
but this appears to be impossible -
if the WiFi device is turned off in the TCD Profile
then it is automatically turned off in the Common Profile.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366