More SSH 'trolling'

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Oct 14 22:58:46 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 18:14, Edwin Dicker wrote:
> I must say I'm very happy with this thread. It teaches me, and probably oher
> some more about SSH.
>
> But I was wondering , has anyone set-up a machine already as bate ? I'm very
> curious what this hacker wants to do with this compromised machine :)
>
> Edwin

There are some people that setup honey pots for just that purpose.  I
believe there is even some packages designed to simulate a system so you
don't loose complete control of a box.

The idea of the honey pot is while they are hacking it you can monitor
and collect data on the hackers recording everything they do and getting
copies of the files they upload.  The fact that such a box normally has
what appears some known exploits just makes it easy for them to get in
to instead of into the real boxes you are trying to protect.

As to what they want to do?  They probably are either setting up a spam
bot army.  But those are mostly windows boxes.  A linux box is probably
used as another platform to find more boxes to exploit.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

"If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry."
-- Chekhov