usb stick as swap partition

W. Guy Thomas mrguytx at austin.rr.com
Fri Oct 15 01:43:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 20:29, Wolfgang Gill wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:02:42 -0500, W. Guy Thomas wrote
> >
> > I just want to cut down on the thrashing of my hard drive and if
> > this is slower, then fine, at least I can do other things since my
> > hard drive won't be churning away.
> >
> > Thanks for any further info!
> >
> > =G
>
> I wouldn't recommend it for several reasons:
>
> 1. It's way slower that HDD access.

I don't care if it's slower. What's slow is when I do something like a
major yum update, my hard drive has to thrash to swap, I'd rather it
thrash to stick and let me continue on...this doesn't happen often that
I get in swap-thrash but I'd like to fix that if possible. I can't
upgrade ram or hd space in this laptop.

> 2. It's also slower than main memory.

That's ok with me if it's doing something I don't care about in the
background.

> 3. It doesn't like constant access (Hence the resourse busy errors).

I think the resource busy error is something I've done wrong in setting
it up. And it wouldn't be in constant access, only when I am doing
something extreme.

> 4. It's not designed for that purpose.

Of course not, but we gotta try don't we? ;)

> Wolf
> --
> Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)

=G