usb stick as swap partition

Gideon N. Guillen gideong at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 02:28:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:02:42 -0500, W. Guy Thomas <mrguytx at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I have researched this but it seems no one wants to do this.
> Is it a bad idea?
> I think it would be better than my little hard drive churning on this
> old laptop.
> A full 128MB stick.
> Fedora sees the stick, I create a partition in fdisk of type 82.
> I use
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=1024 count=131000

Well, have you used this usb stick for other stuff? If the answer is
no, well, it's possible that you have a memory stick that uses the
entire block dvice, not partitions, like /dev/sda instead of
/dev/sda1.

Anyway, as the other poster said, this is not recommended. Even if
your hard disk will be free, this will slow down you computer even
more as your system will be put to a state where the kernel has to
finish writing to virtual memory before handing over cpu/resources
again to processes.

--
Gideon N. Guillen
gideong at gmail.com

Take back the web! Download Firefox Today!