usb stick as swap partition

Wolfgang Gill wolfgang at rpi.net.au
Fri Oct 15 06:53:49 UTC 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 21:32:56 -0500, W. Guy Thomas wrote
> On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 21:28, Gideon N. Guillen wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:02:42 -0500, W. Guy Thomas <mrguytx at austin.rr.com>
wrote:
> > > I have researched this but it seems no one wants to do this.
> > > Is it a bad idea?
> > > I think it would be better than my little hard drive churning on this
> > > old laptop.
> > > A full 128MB stick.
> > > Fedora sees the stick, I create a partition in fdisk of type 82.
> > > I use
> > > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda1 bs=1024 count=131000
> >
> > Well, have you used this usb stick for other stuff? If the answer is
> > no, well, it's possible that you have a memory stick that uses the
> > entire block dvice, not partitions, like /dev/sda instead of
> > /dev/sda1.
> >
> > Anyway, as the other poster said, this is not recommended. Even if
> > your hard disk will be free, this will slow down you computer even
> > more as your system will be put to a state where the kernel has to
> > finish writing to virtual memory before handing over cpu/resources
> > again to processes.
>
> I haven't used it for anything except to format it as vfat and write
> to it to make sure it works.
>
> Surely we can at least give it a try?
> I have tried all the procedures I can find.
> If anyone could pick up on where I left off and spot what I'm missing
> I'd be most grateful.
> I have done my research and am not asking for my hand to be held,
>  just some pointers as to what I might have missed please?
>
> thanks.

I would recommend to upgrade your RAM. That should stop most of the thrashing
of your notebooks HDD. Or upgrading the HDD to a larger and faster one perhaps
(That's if there is one available for your system). Your current approch is
really pointless. After all I'm only trying to help you :-)

Wolf