fstab & ntfs/fat32 partition

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Oct 15 11:35:59 UTC 2004

MOPO3 wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to mount WinXP partition on my Fedora FC2, but when I wrote in
> fstab the following line :
>  /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
> then after system restart, on booting I saw an error/ somthing like this :
> unknown format ntfs :/ I tried
>  /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c fat32 iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
> then I saw the same error :/
>
> Tell me please, how can I do this ?

If your C drive is actually formatted FAT32, use a filesystem type of vfat.

If your C drive is actually formatted NTFS, you'll need to install the NTFS
kernel module (not supplied as standard in any Red Hat/Fedora Linux
distribution), use a filesystem type of ntfs and mount it read-only. See
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/instructions.html

Paul.