Why would my server be swapping... (thinking about a new subject line)

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 15 12:18:47 UTC 2004

Wouter van Vliet wrote:
> `ps wfaux` tells shows me 20 procs with the "/usr/sbin/-e" command,
> hanging under root's httpd each consuming 4.4% mem (abt 30MB). And the
> same amount of postgres procs, each with 1.1% (just over 10MB). What
> whould this /usr/sbin/-e command be?

Good question.

Googling for it is difficult, but it did come up with
http://www.apache-httpd.com/msg/9491.html , which suggests
> This was a bug in versions of mod_perl older than 1.99_14, I believe.
> Have you tried upgrading to the latest mod_perl?

Note that the current available mod_perl in FC2 is 1.99_12, so it may
not have this fix.

> (hmm, drifting off from the swapping thing; you guys think I should
> take this over to the Apache or ModPerl mailinglist or would anyone
> around here know some cool techniques to find leaks in Perl code?)

Well, I wouldn't know any such techniques. I'd ask elsewhere (but keep
an eye on this thread in case anyone jumps in).

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do