usb stick as swap partition

Walter Francis wally at theblackmoor.net
Fri Oct 15 12:22:38 UTC 2004

This has GOT to be the DUMBEST idea I've ever heard.

Flash media has a limited write cycle, the abhorent speed compared to a
hard drive, and do you really want to leave your memory stick plugged
in as a perminant device?

If you're having issues with swapping during specific tasks, kill
some programs running, Firefox/Thunderbird take up quite a bit of ram
each, etc..  If you have to, maybe go to console mode.  Or just deal
with it, the trashing isn't a big deal.  I understand laptops aren't
easily upgradable, I have two myself, but using a USB storage device
as a swap partition is beyond stupid.